GlobalWarmingisReal contributor Anders Hellum-Alexander wraps-up and comments on the climate and environmental news headlines for the past week:
- Permits for the Cape Cod Wind Project have just been approved, with over a hundred wind turbines planned off the shore of Massachusetts. Extending the federal wind tax credit will allow more projects like this to happen.
- The US is a world leader in climate change denial, but just to the north in Canada climate change deniers are like endangered species.
- Natural gas is promoted as an alternative to coal. Gas can produce a lot of energy, but it is not a long-term solution. If the US does not regulate carbon emissions or coal in the near future then it could stick around for a while, wreaking havoc on our economy, health and environment.
- As the Arctic melts countries like Russia are moving in to explore for oil. But drilling for oil in the arctic poses serious risks, if a spill occurs the clean up is guaranteed to be lengthy and the effect disastrous.
- With Coke and Pepsi serving sugar to our kids during school we are ensuring their addiction to a toxic substance. An unhealthy society is bad for our environment.
- One of the largest Chinese Solar companies is struggling to stay alive.