GlobalWarmingisReal contributor Anders Hellum-Alexander wraps-up the climate and environmental news headlines for the past week:
- The only Socialist Party member in the US Congress is Bernie Sanders; in this article by Senator Sanders he argues for a revamping of our energy infrastructure.
- The Christian Science Monitor covers the “Great Electric Car Race of 2010.”
- In a BBC News article the author explores how the global community can address climate change. His proposals are refreshing to hear but unlikely to happen.
- Courts in California are ruling in the favor of human needs over endangered or threatened species. Water rights are contentious in many parts of the world and if freshwater becomes harder to come by I doubt fish will be given water over thirsty humans.
- One woman is heading an effort to clean up the famous Pacific garbage patch. Until now I have only found news articles about it being there, finally someone is doing something about it.
- While the Gulf of Mexico oil spill is horrendous, Nigeria experiences worse every year. Americans finally get a small glimpse of what we inflict on other people. The Guardian covers the damage done to Nigeria and the daily realities of living with oil spills.
- An Oil Industry news site, OilVoice, covers the moratorium on off-shore oil drilling.