Please allow me to interject here. The list of ten things to do to fight global warming that follows describes things that we all should do – and it is the least we can do.
If you think that if you do this, then there will be no worries from climate change, which is really just a symptom of the over-extended human “footprint” on this earth – then you are, as they say, “whistling in the dark”.
Don’t kid yourself, it doesn’t become you.
If, by some quirk of fate, human civilization as we know it is but little disturbed by climate change, then we will have dodged a bullet. Bullets are generally not that easy to dodge.
So this list is merely a start. It isn’t enough, but the first step is to just wake up and start thinking about the scope and consequences of the current fossil-fuel driven society in which we live.
“Oh God, there he goes.” I hear you…
Fun stuff, I know. We’re all to blame, nobody’s to blame – it really doesn’t matter. Situational awareness is what matters, like walking a dark street at night – only bigger. Or to use another strained analogy: we’re at the top of the roller-coaster, riding high toward a zenith of momentum. Right before it peters out and plunges downward into the abyss.
It’s hard to be prepared. So let’s whistle.
So anyway, here’s that list – from the Environmental Defense Fund.
Have a nice day…
- Recycle and buy minimally packed goods as much as possible.
- Wash clothes in cold or warm water, not hot.
- Install low-flow shower heads to use less water.
- Run the dishwasher only when full and don’t use heat to dry dishes (or wash your own damn dishes – ed.)
- Replace standard light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Plug air leaks in windows and doors to increase energy efficiency.
- Replace old appliances with energy-efficient models.
- Walk, bike, carpool or use public transportation whenever possible.
- Adjust your thermostat – lower in winter, higher in summer.
- Share these simple steps with friends and family and increase awareness!
-And Wake Up!!