19 responses

1. Moth
    January 26, 2011

Interesting. I knew panels were fairly basic, but didn’t realise you could simply by the cells yourself so cheaply. When I buy a place I’ll probably get a smart meter installed that allows for me to continue to increase panels as my own pace and work from there.
    My only question would be, what would suit as a good covering?

2. investedinterest
    January 31, 2011

I just heard about a very cool corporate social responsibility new company called Invested Interests that does socially responsible investing and gives individuals the ability to screen their investments. So if you own any mutual fund you can see what percentage of your money is supporting BP and its subsidiaries. They have an ad-based model so it’s all free. It’s awesome

3. Arizona Solar Rebates
    February 22, 2011

I don’t think a lot of people know how easy and inexpensive it is to build your own solar panels. It’s a great way to get into the solar energy game. And the ultimate goal being someday hooking up to the grid, using less power than you contribute and getting a check each month from the electric company!

4. solar power energy
    February 26, 2011

Solar power energy has a lot to offer to man than any person can imagine. This solar power energy is realized courtesy of the sun that rises every day oblivious of the niceties that falls in its wake. This solar power energy when well harnessed fills the inadequacies of virtually every human being on the planet Earth.

5. dashony
    March 20, 2011

Build your own solar panel power system with grid tie inverter a battery bank, components you need and a full description on this website www dashony com

6. GreenMinds
    July 16, 2011

I think this is great and maybe at some point of time I am going to try to build one, too. At the same time, I think reducing the power usage is also going to help when one is on solar panel. The most saving I can think of is the lighting energy. Choosing LED lights along with solar panel will be a real win win. I don’t have a solar panel yet but I have started replacing some bulbs with LEDs and they are great in saving energy. The quality of LED lights have improved a lot. Big company like Philips, GE, Sylvania are having new LED lights every 6 months, and small company like Tuwago, Nexxus are also putting out wonderful lights that often outperform the name brands.

7. HubSch
    December 7, 2011

Very interesting site and information. I had installed just a year ago a commercial 5.2 KW solar system on the roof of my house in North Georgia. This information is very worthwhile, as I’m interested to extend the size of the installation, if finance will work out.
    THX!

• Thomas Schueneman
      December 7, 2011

Thanks for the comment. I’m glad to hear you’re using this information. Please let us know how things work out with your expansion plans!

8. thesolarindia
    January 17, 2012

Wondering how easy and creative one can be building your own solar panel!.thanks for the great article.

9. Steve Hayes
    April 7, 2012

The main stumbling block on building your solar panels is to buying solar cells at a good price. New solar cells are quite expensive, and sometimes hard to find in quantity. We have a good experience and some tips on my own website to help people that are willing to try this. Visit: http://homeandgreenenergy.com/solar-panels/build-your-solar-panel/

10. AES
    August 7, 2013

Great article, solar power is brilliant and it is good that so many people are starting to use it. With there being such a greater interest in ‘going green’ alternative energy sources are becoming more and more popular, from heat pumps to biomass boilers.

11. Gberbo J
    July 5, 2014

Your organization is doing a good job.I am working on how to build a local solar panel using:sand,cement,black paint,electrodes and cables.I want to know if you have done something like this before.

• Thomas Schueneman
      July 6, 2014

Thanks for your comment. We haven’t yet built a solar panel as you describe. If you do, let us know how it turns out!